Please see instructions for setting up Trello below.
Once you have created an account, please provide us with your username and password so we can set up the boards and lists for you. Alternatively, there are instructions below on how to do this yourself.
Creating an Account
- Go to Trello and click ‘Sign up for free’ in the top right-hand corner.
- Enter your email to create the account – you may need to do the Google verification quiz.
- Name your workspace e.g. ‘Company Name’.
- Add the emails of people who will also need to access it – they do not need to set up Trello accounts but they can if they wish to. This can be done at a later stage if you wish to skip this for now.
- Skip the premium offer – the free version will do everything you need, but if needed you can always upgrade to the pro version at a later date.
- You will also need to confirm your email address in the email sent from Atlassian (the company that owns Trello).
- This will then take you to your profile, and you can add a board. A board is where you can add lists and tasks to complete. You can have multiple boards for different workflows – e.g. one for Client management, then another for internal project management. If you wish to do this yourself, please see further instructions below, otherwise, we can set this up for you.
Creating Boards & Lists
- Select create your first board – this will show a dropdown where you can choose the details of the board.
- Choose your background, this can be an image or colour of your choosing. We recommend clicking the three dots next to the colours, then see more and select grey – it makes viewing the tasks a lot easier with a plain background!
- Enter the board title, e.g. ‘Project Management’ or ‘Client Management’ (this is just so if you have multiple workspaces, you can easily identify which is which – you can always change this later)
- Select the visibility, we recommend leaving it on ‘Workspace’ as this will allow the other users you added to edit and view the boards.
- Once you have clicked create, this will take you to your workspace for the board, where you can create lists to develop a workflow process of tasks.
- Trello should generate three for you automatically, called ‘To do’ ‘Doing’ and ‘Done’. This can be adjusted as you find a workflow process that works for you. For example, you may have one list called ’New Enquiries’, another called ‘Waiting on Client’ then another for ‘Completed’.
- Within these lists you can generate individual tasks, for example in a ’New Enquiry’ list you may generate a card called ‘Client Name – Date’ then click add card.
- You can then click on this card to add extra details such as a description, assign members, labels (see how to set these up below), due dates, checklists, and comments.
Setting Up Labels
- These can be named to group common things such as ‘Priority’ ‘Follow Up’ or ’Waiting on Client’.
- This provides an easy way of categorising cards across your lists by colour. For example, a card in the ’New Enquiry’ list may have a label of ‘Priority’ and ‘Follow Up’. You can have multiple labels on one card.
- To add names to a label colour, select the edit button (pencil) next to one of the colours and enter the appropriate name, then save.